August 7, 2019

Five things I did to lose 60 pounds in 8 months

It's not about diet, it's about consistency

Me and my dog January 1, 2019.

My and my dog - July 4, 2019
By Sean Claes
So... I'm fielding a lot of questions from folks who haven't seen me since the end of the school year... I think my weight loss has become more visual in the last 3 months. I think a big part of it is... I'm wearing clothes that fit me now and I'm looking much more stylish (thanks to all those who gave me/sold me 2nd hand style).

So... to answer all the questions in rapid-fire:
  • Yes. I did lose weight on purpose.
  • No. I'm not sick.
  • No. I didn't go keto/vegetarian/vegan/Atkins/Slimfast/Juice or the Diet DuJour you just heard of. Not bashing any of it... I just didn't do that.
  • Yes, it was easy.
  • No, it's not a secret
  • No, It wasn't expensive

I did these 5 things... consistently.


12/20/18 - My first run group attendance

1. I joined a run group.
I got up at 4:00a on Tuesdays and Thursdays and ran/walked/jogged for as much as I could in 30-45 minutes. I've stuck with it since mid-December.

2. I stopped "grazing" food.
You know... walking by and there's a cookie on the counter...grabbing a handful of M&Ms or chips or pretzels... eating a candy bar just because it's there.

3. Less bread, more protein
I tried to eat more protein than anything else and a lot fewer carbs (unless the bread is awesome/homemade... I don't eat it)

4. If it's not healthy, it's got to be amazing
I tried to stick to great "bad" food. I'm not going to eat a large fries from Wendy's because they aren't great. Hopdoddy fries? Bring 'em on. (This also stopped me from having fries every time I ate out... which is kinda the point).

5. I stopped getting seconds.
We are able to put as much food as we need on one plate no matter how delicious it is. Bonus is... by packing away what I'd get as seconds in a container, I have lunch the next day.

That's it.

I'm sitting at 200lbs right now. I was 260 in December.
I ran a 5k in 48 minutes and 4 seconds on January 1, 2019.
I ran a 5k in 28 minutes and 11 seconds on July 25, 2019.


Me - December 2018
Me - August 2019

I go to bed earlier. I eat less. I have more energy. I get more done. I spend less money. I'm healthier.

The hardest part of this entire process? Getting out of bed.
Really. No matter what time I go to bed, 4a comes EARLY.

I didn't post this for kudos or atta-boys... I posted it to show you... it's really not that hard. I didn't do anything y'all can't do if you really want to. It's a process.. 2-3 lbs a week. it's not quick weight loss... its slow and steady...

Eat what you want... but just make sure you really WANT what you eat.... and purposefully run/walk 5 miles a week. Have fun. Do stuff that you enjoy. Don't punish yourself. You will be happier.

1 comment:

Ron said...

Congrats Sean on the weight loss. Even though ive got a lot of years on you im gonna give it a try (except for the getting up at 4a.m.....retired you know)��