June 22, 2011

SOUR PATCH EXTREME (Candy Review) for O'Ryan's Village

Sour Patch Kids Grew Up...er...Extreme!

Candy Review: Sour Patch Extreme

When O’Ryans Village (http://www.oryans.com/) put out a call for candy reviewers via their Facebook page, I’ve got to admit, I was a happy camper. Free candy? Sign me up. So my first package came in the mail and as I opened it, I realized they paired me up with three things I really don’t like in a candy… sour, gummy, and multi-flavor in one piece. But, in the interest of giving a fair review, I will curb my preferences.

Now Sour Patch Extreme could be the cousin of the Sour Patch Kids candy I didn't really eat when I was a kid, so I can't compare Patches to Patches... if you want that comparrison, read Jim Bonomo's review here.

Anyhow...

Sour Patch Extreme comes in 3 different “flavors.” You’ve got Watermelon / Grape, Orange / Blue Raspberry, and Sour Apple / Strawberry. Of the flavors, the dominant of each is Watermelon, Orange, and Strawberry.

As I take them out of the package, I note that the pieces themselves are shaped like flat feet with a different color in the toes. Upon further research (read: looking at the package) they are supposed to be faces with colored hair. “Ah…” I think. “I can see that now. Should I scratch the foot comment? Naw.”

They are coated with some sugary looking stuff that gives them the sour taste. It kicks in immediately, but soon enough you get the sweet flavors that lie underneath. The 4oz package has about 45 quarter-size pieces in it, and the Nutrition Facts state that there’s about 3 servings of 16 each. I don’t know anyone who would be able to down 16 of these at a sitting, as my tongue started feeling rubbed raw after about 5, so I had to take a break. Now, I’m sure seasoned candy eaters could play through the pain, as the reward is worth it, but I am not one of those.

I attempted to eat them two ways.

One, I just popped them in and chewed. I got a nice “crunch” of the sour sugar accompanied by the rush of flavors provided by the underlying gummy.

The second way was rolling the candy on my tongue and sucking the sugar off the piece until I had a smooth and yummy gummy underneath. This method attributed to the raw tongue and after that the gummy lingered in my mouth as it adhered itself to my teeth.


Here I am eating Orange/Blue Raspberry - my fave of the 3.

Each way has it’s advantages. If you are the type of person who doesn’t like the peas rolling into the mashed potatoes, you’ll appreciate the eating a layer at a time. If you’re like me and get annoyed by a gummy layer on your teeth, you’ll want to pop and chew.


Overall, these are quite good. I like the fact that they are a small amount of candy that packs a big punch. I can eat one and feel like I’ve had that little shot of sweet I crave sometimes… so I can see a bag of these multi-colored flat feet lasting about a week in my hands, which is a wise investment.



If you’re a fan of sour candy, this may not hit a homerun with you as the sourness quickly dissapates, but it will be satisfying nonetheless. If you like gummy candies, you’ll be pleased with Sour Patch Extreme.
- Sean Claes

No comments: