March 24, 2010

Texas Music - Albums of the Decade

The current issue of Texas Music (Winter 2010/Issue 41) is on stands right now with a spotlight on the top 20 Texas albums of the decade. 23 past contributors, including me, were asked to rank their personal top 10 albums. I'm pleased to say that 4 of the artists I chose made the to 20 (but only one of the albums...but it was the top one).

I still like my list better. I really tried to make sure different genres were represented. I went less with "Texas Musicians" and more with "Artists in Texas Who Make Amazing Music" but I can't argue with ANY of the top 20 in the magazine. Over-all it's a great list of "the usual suspects."I would have loved to see Full Service or Driver F in the top 10... but, several in the top 20 were on my short list. Had I gotten a top 30 to list I'm certain Sam Baker (I prefer Cotton over Mercy though), Slaid Cleaves, Alejandro Escovedo, and Patty Griffin would have made the cut. Anyhow...

Pick up a copy of Texas Music and see what was written about the albums... and see below what albums made the top 20 (and a bonus of my choices are below that).

Which list do YOU like better?

The top 10 from Texas Music Magazine
1. Dixie Chicks - Home
2. Rodney Crowell - The Houston Kid
3. Alejandro Escovedo - A Man Under the Influence
4. Alejandro Escovedo - Real Animal
5. James McMurtry - Childish Things
6. Billy Joe Shaver - The Earth Rolls On
7. Hays Carrl - Trouble In Mind
8. Slaid Cleaves - Broke Down
9. Sam Baker - Mercy
10. Steve Earle - The Revolution Starts... Now

11-20 are Spoon-Gimme Fiction, Ruthie Foster - The Phenomenal Ruthie Foster, Terri Hendrix - The Spiritual Kind, Willie Nelson - You Don't Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker, Steve Earle - Transcendental Blues, James McMurtry - Just Us Kids, Guy Clark - The Dark, Patty Griffin - 1,000 Kisses, Old 97's - Satellite Radio, Eliza Gilkyson - Hard Times in Babylon, and Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy



Here's what I chose:
Sean Claes’ Top 20 Texas Albums of the Decade

1. Walt Wilkins – Mustang Island (2005)
2. Dixie Chicks – Home (2002)
3. Blue October – Foiled (2006)
4. The Derailers – Here Come The Derailers (2001)
5. Spoon – Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (2007)
6. Ruthie Foster – The Phenomenal Ruthie Foster (2007)
7. Grupo Fantasma - Movimiento Popular (2004)
8. Guy Forsyth – Love Songs For and Against (2005)
9. Driver F – Chase The White Whale (2008)
10. Terri Hendrix – Places In Between (2000)
11. Drowning Pool – Sinner (2001)
12. Full Service – The Dig (2008)
13. Pat Green – Three Days (2001)
14. Matt The Electrician – Made For Working (2003)
15. The Banner Year – Straight On Till Breakfast
16. George Strait - The Road Less Traveled (2001)
17. Scott H. Biram – Lo-Fi Mojo (2003)
18. Okkervil River– The Stage Names (2007)
19. Powderburn – Echoed In Red (2007)
20. Burden Brothers – Mercy (2006)

No comments: