September 8, 2007

San Marcos Naturescapes Contest...

So much of my time is spent shooting bands in dark places... it's nice to take something in the light. It is just fun to be able to get out there and try my hand at nature photography. Three years ago, the San Marcos Greenbelt Alliance and the Hill Country Photographers club established the "San Marcos Naturescapes Photography Contest and Exhibition.

And...for the third year in a row, I've entered. Every year, I've been excited to find that some of my photos were chosen to be displayed in the Exhibit.

The first year, I actually got 3rd place for a photo I took of some canoers (that my wife has hanging in her office now). Last year I had 3 shots in the show, but nothing placed.

This year's contest winners were announced last night with a reception at the San Marcos Recreation Center. I was very pleased to have two shots in the show. A photo of some tubers I took, and a photo of a flower I saw down by the river.

After they went through the "Honorable Mention, 2nd and 1st Place" of each catagory, I thought the night was over except for the Best of Show... so I thought "At least the fried mushrooms rocked and I enjoy seeing everyone's photos and chatting with folks" but then My name was called along with 3 others.

My River Flower won the "Award of Excellence" meaning it was the top rated photo in my category of "Wildlife and Plants." I'm amazed. I almost didn't enter the photo... but my wife pretty much begged me to. I should listen to her more often.

So here's the shot.


You can see it in person at the San Marcos Activity Center Walker's Gallery until October 26... for details, go to: http://www.smgreenbelt.org/PhotoContest.htm


You can also see some of the winners from the last 2 years (including my Canoers shot.. and a root photo) on that site.


Oh.. my other shot in the show hanging right now - "Tubers Tubing":

No comments: