October 9, 2006

KISS Fall Fest review

I was one of the honored guests (photographer) to attend 99.5 KISS FM's Fall Fest in Selma, Texas on Saturday.

10 bands in one day... the photo passes weren't granted until the last five bands... so I wasn't able to shoot HURT which was the band I was really interested in shooting (I interviewed the guitarist for current issue of The Edge Magazine - www.theedgemagazine.com).

My mini-review (My opinion...you may differ..)

12:30 – 1:00 Eighteen Visions - Not bad... but forgetable. i couldn't really tell you anything about them...

1:05 – 1:35 Hurt - opened main-stage... was great hard rock music with that Tool "dude's got issues" feel... lead singer jumped off stage and climbed over the barriers almost to the lawn during "Rapture."

1:35 – 2:05 Black Stone Cherry - The Allman Brothers Band meets Jackyl and they have a musical kid.. not in a great way.

2:10 – 2:50 Earshot - They assumed up until their final moments that everyone knew who they were.... They assumed wrong... but they weren't a bad band. Entertaining..

2:50 – 3:20 Lostprophets - Missed them.. I was getting my photo pass situation set up

3:20 - 4:05 Avenged Sevenfold - Prima Donna bitches (read my MySpace Blog for the whole story - www.myspace.com/seanclaes)

4:35 - 5:25 Breaking Benjamin - If John Mayer had a metal band... I got one of their picks... but it didn't say the band name...

6:00 – 6:55 Stone Sour - Good stuff... entertaining. Lead singer is from Slipknot...drummer from Soulfly...

7:35 – 8:55 Staind - Good band... Did a Pantera cover... I got really thirsty at this point and ended up hanging out with a few folks I know and slamming 5 sodas in an hour... for the record... 2 Sunkists, 1 Root Beer, 1 Big Red and 1 Dr. Pepper will REALLY get your heard going.

9:30 – 10:45 Alice In Chains - Disappointed a little bit. I mean in their corner.. they did wait almost 10 years before performing as Alice In Chains... Comes With The Fall's William DuVall did a good job.. but it really seemed like an Alice In Chains cover band..but with all surviving members.... I only stuck around for the first 5 songs.

No comments: