December 22, 2010

Sean Claes' Top Ten Austin Music Releases for 2010

The Top 10 Austin CDs I Listened to this Year


Those who have been following Notes From The Cubicle are aware that between September 2009 and September 2010 I took on a challenge to review one release from an Austin-based band a week for a year. At the end I reviewed 55 different CDs. Why 55? Well, there were 6 EPs in there and I count those as half an album. I have very strong feelings on EPs, which I discuss here (Click link).  

Anyhow. I thought since the year is wrapping up, I’d give you my Top 10 releases I reviewed this year. These are all Austin-based bands and I hope you have a chance to listen to each one at some point. I won’t explain my choices, but I’ll give you a link to the review which will do that for me. Also, if you’ve not heard that particular band, there’s a link to their site and, in most cases, a YouTube video of them playing live.

Now, this was a hard thing for me to cull down to just 10. I only review CDs that I enjoy, so every one of the 55 on that list is a keeper in my eyes. These are just representative of the ones that I find really, really stellar among really good CDs.

So, Merry Christmas and I hope you enjoy this little ditty.


Listed in order of 10-1 with 1 being my favorite.

10. Bobby Bookout - Bobby Bookout
8. Lennon's Song - We Love, We Learn, We Grow
7. Trashy and the Kid - Songs In The Key of Blow Me
6. Alejandro Escovedo - Street Songs of Love
5. The Jeremy Miller Band -  Way Too Fast
4. Ray Wylie Hubbard - A. Enlightenment B. Endarkenment (Hint: There is no C)
3. Terri Hendrix - Cry Till You Laugh 
2. One-Eyed Doll - Break
1. Dave Madden  - Open Eyed / Broken Wide


Dave Madden - Open Eyed
Dave Madden - Broken Wide




Thanks to all who make music for giving me the gift of hearing your craft. And thanks to all who read my musings for giving me a little home to share my thoughts and feelings.

God Bless you and keep you safe in 2011 and beyond.
Love,
Sean Claes

p.s. If you're interested, my new challenge for 2010-2011 is 52 Weeks of DIY Music Advice. Check it out and please give feedback.

No comments: