Fast forward to last night. I was looking for a band to play a Dia De Los Muertos show in my hometown and I posted to my Facebook page for help. My friend Gino Gamez, whom I met at Adult Kickball, mentioned his cousin had a band... Los Texas Wranglers.
Long story short.. it didn't work out for the show (hopefully they'll play next year) but when I talked to Julian L. Fernandez from the band he let me know of a couple of really cool things that are happening to Los Texas Wranglers right now... so I thought I'd share.
1. Today (10/11/10) Los Texas Wranglers are being filmed in San Antonio for a documentary on the Texas Tejano/Conjunto music culture that will be aired on The Discovery Channel. The filming is happening at Ruben's Place in Selma (just north of San Antonio.. here's a little write up on Ruben's Place from mysanantonio.com) from 4:00p - 7:00p. All are invited who would like to celebrate and dance... and maybe be on film. There's going to be a special guest playing with the band too... but you have to be there to see (or wait until it airs).
2. They also recently received word that one of Fernandez's originals has been tapped to be used in a major motion picture. The new Will Ferrell and Laura Dern flick, Everything Must Go uses the song "El Amor Que Soñe" during a dinner scene. Neat. You can go to the Free Download page on their Website to hear and download it.
FYI.. here's a little rundown of a few of the accomplishments of Los Texas Wranglers.
|Los Texas Wranglers (Press Photo)|
- Inducted to the South Texas Conjunto Associations "2006 Conjunto Hall of Fame"
- Winners of Tejano Magazine's "2007 Conjunto of the Year”
- Austin Music Awards “Best Latin Traditional” 2008-2010
I can't wait to see them again. For a list of upcoming shows, visit their calendar.